Monday, October 12, 2009

Blog #5 Graduate School Anyone?

I think I have a problem. I think I have multiple problems, but the one specifically keyed in on right now is how I can tend to be in one place and time physically and mentally be somewhere and sometime completely different. We are currently a month and a half into two years of nursing school. It's a competitive, or at least challenging, two years at that. However, I can't help but feel like now is the time to start thinking about graduate school and chasing after a Master's degree in something. Maybe it was the Praxis paper we just turned in that got this really churning inside my brain, maybe not, either way I'm there right now instead of wherever I am right now.
So here's the plan right now. Finish at NU with a BSN and take the NCLEX. Ace it the first time and if we really get to pick two states to get certified in, have my second one be Hawaii. My nephew, Tanner, is the stud next to me in my profile picture and that's where he hangs out. Actually that's where he lives with 5 of my other nieces and nephews. I lived with them a little while and would love to have the option of making Hawaii a permanent residence. Anyways, that's beside the point again and clearly shows how my mind wanders other places and times. Back on track now I want to go to graduate school for a Master's degree in public health.
I'm looking at UW and they have five or six programs relating to public health. Each one has different pre-requisites and qualifications to get in. Hears my question... what kind of public health is it that would travel overseas to teach things like hand hygiene and water sanitation to local people and help them set up systems to make such things part of daily life? I haven't called them, but heard that they love for RNs to get into public health and not just the other crazy biology majors.
So the whole world could be my mission field, when I'm not home in Kirkland, but to make even more doors open into other countries I'm looking at more school. Maybe you guys want to dream with me a little bit about this. Anyone else like the idea of more school and travelling a lot to remote villages to bring help? What kind of public health is that? And actually that's where the second dilemma comes into play. The navy has an incredible nursing corp that travels and does clinics and education just like what I want to do. They're even willing to pay tons for school now and grad school. The only problem is I have to sign away at least 4 years and up to 7 in order to have that option open.
All that to say, is that there's tons of opportunity for even more schooling. What's the plan people? Who's doing more and why?

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking the same thing during my praxis, when thinking about my future goals. You can get a concurrent degree in Public Health while also getting your MN at UW. For me, I am seriously looking at this. I've always knew I needed to get my MN so I can go farther in the medical field, whether it be overseas or at home. I researched the CDC and there are serious options out there for traveling, but I'm pretty sure you have to at least get your MN. I'll give you think link that I've been looking at for quite some time: http://www.cdc.gov/cogh/employment.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok... I'm gonna dream with you a little...

    First, I have wanted to live in Hawaii too! I was even pursuing going to school there, but that obviously didn't work out. So, maybe we will be colleagues someday there!

    But besides that, I can't really relate to wanting to pursue more education. At least that is where I am right now, but that could always change in the future. I am open to whatever I need to do to live out God's will. But I can relate to wanting to go to remote areas and helping out. I always imagined myself just going places with a medical missions team and doing general medical care. I do think along with that care comes things like education about clean water sources or filtering water and hygiene. But I wouldn't be able to work as extensively as actually setting up water systems and stuff like that. That would take a lot of extra funding, which is totally possible though. I'm not sure what that kind of program would be called though, but I think that is so awesome that you are interested in that. I think that is a definite need and it's true, it makes the world your workplace. That was the one thing I that attracted me to nursing. The fact that I could go anywhere!

    Also, I do think going into the navy could be a good idea if you needed the funds for school. My dad tried to persuade me into doing that, well the air force, but it wasn't for me. He served 20 years in the air force which did allow our family, and him even more, to travel and see the world. My dad has some amazing stories that I can only get jealous of, and hope for the same type of international experiences. I think it is definitely something to look in to.

    ReplyDelete